Friday, January 27, 2012

Out of Control (March 2011)

I am beginning to realize that I don't have a lot of time this summer to have a surgery (mastectomy), recover, have a second surgery (oophorectomy), and recover.  I don't want to miss too much work at the end of this year or the beginning of next.  And I don't have that much paid leave.

After speaking with the oncologist about my concerns, she told me that if I had a gynecologist from Mercy Hospital, where I plan to have the mastectomy and reconstruction, perform the oophorectomy (as opposed to my OBGYN here), I could do the mastectomies, reconstruction and oopherectomies in one surgery.  WOW.  10-12 hours under and three surgeons.  This is major. 

On a good note though, she told me that they can spare my nipples.  This to me was like a cancer patient hearing that they won't lose their hair.  Ray and I had a long discussion about my nipples to which he said he couldn't care less about them.  I, on the other hand, could only picture Marilyn Manson in the white jumpsuit from the "Beautiful People" video.

No comments:

Post a Comment