Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Awareness Branding (i.e. Mommy Tattoo)


I got this tattoo in 2010.  We don't often get tattoos, so there is a lot here even if it appears rather plain and simple at first glance.  I had to jam pack it so that I didn't have to commit to more :)  Obviously, these are my children's footprints.  They are the actual prints from the day they came home from the hospital.  My daughter's print is wrapped in an Ovarian/Breast Cancer awareness ribbon.  Like me, she may have the BRCA2 gene.  This is also a tribute to my mother who passed in 2009.  My son's print is wrapped in the VBAC awareness ribbon.  My pregnancy, birth and decision to breastfeed were all very conscious decisions to decrease my risk of cancer.  I was very calculated in that matter.  I feel as strongly about women's rights and reproductive rights as I do about cancer awareness and research.  His weight is included as a reminder that our bodies will make a baby we can physically birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment