Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Previvor. Are you Offended?

There is some debate as to whether the term “Previvor” is offensive.  I guess the argument is that it may take away from the significance of a cancer survivor.  If you know me, you know well that I am not easily offended.  I personally, obviously, do not take offense to this term.  I don't really understand why anyone would find it offensive unless there was some sort of competitive motive behind wanting to be in a VIP group.  At which I would wonder why you would want to be in any group related to cancer, VIP or not. 

Again, I find it odd that people want to exclude others of varying perspectives and experiences with cancer.  Are we going to start judging and ranking people with different stages of cancer, or seriousness of their cancer to define a level of survivor?  Then why the desire to exclude those of us with hereditary genetic predispositions?  Are we not a group in need of awareness?  Are we not worthy of some attention so that others can understand and make informed decisions regarding their cancer risks and options? 

What about the term co-survivor for caregivers?  People should be commended for their dedication to a cancer survivor and I challenge anyone to find a survivor that does attribute their success to the support and love of those around them.  Caregivers are very much co-survivors.  Cancer impacts a village, not an individual.  Family and friend’s lives are turned around with a cancer diagnosis and minimizing that is not beneficial to anyone including the survivor.

I find it offensive that anyone would find “Previvor” and/or “Co-Survivor” offensive.  I am not seeking attention, I am not seeking pity.  I merely want to provide a place of knowledge and advocacy for greater information, resources and rights as well as provide a therapeutic place for me to lay out my feelings, emotions and experiences. 

Today I am feeling particularly emotional hence a more emotionally charged post.  There are a number of reasons, but to list a few, I am not happy about my hormones and I know I need to go back and see what other options are out there for me.  I am tired, extremely tired, as we lost power last night and needed to crash at Jessica's house for the night.  And I miss my mom.  I miss her every day, but on day's like Valentine's Day, a day where she would always go out of her way to get Ray and I a thoughtful gift.  We got Andrea and Jackson some gifts to carry on the traditions she started.  But it's a bittersweet day nonetheless.  Thank you Aunt Deedee for the kid's gifts as well.  They were very excited to get mail :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've enjoyed reading your blog and just begun my journey through a similar process. I've also started a blog. I will continue to read because you are ahead of me. I am just looking for surgeons, etc. I am BRCA 2 positive. I'll check out your other blogs listed. Its nice to know there are others like me out there :o)

    donotworryabout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erin! I am so glad you found me and I can't wait to read about your journey. I have found huge support and information from other women through the blogs I linked and the FORCE website. If you have any questions, or just need to vent, feel free to message me anytime!

    ReplyDelete