Thursday, May 24, 2012

HysterSisters

What a week! This week in teacher land is a blessing and curse. It's HSA (High School Assessment) week in Maryland and as a teacher I have to proctor exams daily. It’s tedious at best, but it’s a nice break as well. This year however, I have a new challenge. Strep has been circulating my school and low and behold, I come down with it. Wow, talk about the worse sore throat I have ever had! The doctor mentioned that my tonsils are abscessing and if the antibiotic doesn't take care of the swelling, I will need to see an ENT to have them drained. That just sounds lovely!

Speaking of antibiotics, it occurred to me last night the antibiotics might impact my hormone replacement therapy. So, I go off to research the internet. Apparently, it can impact your hormone level, but not always, just like birth control. For me, it's not a huge deal. If it impacts my hormones, I will level off after the meds are over.

I did though come across this amazing website; HysterSisters. I remember when my mom had her hysterectomy, she read the book "Through the Land of Hyster: The Hyster Sisters Guide" by Kathy Kelley. It was hilarious and the most helpful book ever because it is written in part by many women who have experienced different hysterectomies for various reasons and their advice. It’s real and relevant. I recommend it to anyone facing a hysterectomy, or an oophorectomy. It also makes a nice recovery gift for a friend. The website has a forum section for live chat and to post questions not covered in the book, like "Will antibiotics impact my HRT?"

We are off to Chicago this weekend to visit my mom. I am very emotional about it. I just miss her so much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan!

    My name is Alyssa LaFaro, and I am a journalism graduate student at Syracuse University in Syracuse, N.Y. For my final project, my class and I are creating an entire magazine from scratch entitled Twenty What. It's an inspirational magazine for 20-somethings, showing that our generation is proactive and informative. For our health department, I'm writing a story on ovarian cancer and the BRCA gene/test. I read your story and was blown away. I myself am in my 20s and cannot imagine going through all that. You truly are a survivor! SO the point of all this--would you be interested in speaking to me about your experience for a story? I would truly appreciate it if you would. Let me know what you think. Thank you so much!

    --Alyssa

    ReplyDelete