Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Another Sister

Angelina Jolie announced yesterday that she too carries the BRCA1 mutation and has had prophylactic surgery to remove both breasts. 

Cancer is blind, it does not see color, gender, wealth, intelligence, education, place in life or any discriminating factor.

Know your risk, and address it appropriately.

Article: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

I really like the way she explained her situation and decision in this article: My Medical Choice

It didn't happen often, but there were women, men, people that strongly disagreed with my choice to have prophylactic surgery.  Someone even said I "mutilated my body."  Despite overwhelming support from family and friends, there are always whispers that are heard a little louder, and comments that are taken a bit harder and stares that can make you feel tiny and ashamed.  I am glad Angelina is speaking out.  I love this blog, but she has the real power and captive audience to speak about what it's like to have BRCA and why it completely changes a person's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment